Here is a question and answer with Matilde Germini, a 9-year-old girl in Rome. This question and answer was conducted for the purpose of gaining a fresh perspective on the Internet through a child’s eye. Elgoogo wanted to understand how some young children use the Internet and what they think of the Internet.
1. What age did you first start using the computer?
I was 8 years old.
2. What age did you first start using the Internet?
I was 9 years old.
3. How did you learn to use the computer and the Internet? Was it through your parents, school, friends or by yourself?
Through my mum, friends and by myself.
4. Everyday how much time do you spend on the Internet?
30 minutes per day.
5. Where do you use the Internet: at home, school, anywhere else?
At my mum’s office and a little bit using the phone.
6. What do you use the Internet for?
I use it for scholastic researches, to look for games, singers and actors. Explanations of something I do not know. Video tutorial for many things.
7. Do you talk to your friends using the Internet?
Just through whatsapp.
8. What do you think of the Internet?
Internet is a very useful tool but very dangerous if you don’t use it carefully.
9. Thinking about your homework, do you use the Internet? Can you tell me what you researched?
Yes very often. If I don’t know the meaning of a word or I don’t understand an
exercise. If something is not explained properly on the school book.
10. Do you have any social media accounts?
I don’t use any social media, I’m still too young and my parents are very careful about my internet habit.
11. In the future, what do you think you will use the Internet for?
I think I will always use the internet, it’s very useful!